We’re looking for mentors who work in tech and are excited about sharing their skills and knowledge with 11 – 13 year olds in 50 Greater Manchester schools, between March 2019 and June 2020. It’s really important that the learners meet people who work in digital, to understand what it’s actually like.
BE A MENTOR
Don’t worry, our experienced facilitators will lead all the activities, you’ll be there to help student groups progress their projects. You don’t need any particular skills or experience, just a willingness to share your love of digital and help others learn about it. You don’t have to be super-outgoing, your style might just be to quietly support someone one-to-one.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD MENTOR?
- Motivation to help others learn
- Willingness to muck in with a team and help solve problems
- A ‘coaching’ rather than ‘directing’ approach. For example, asking a learner ‘What do you think the problem is?’ or ‘Have you thought about…’ rather than saying ‘The problem is this, this is how you fix it’.
WHAT SKILLS WOULD BE USEFUL?
Teams will be making then marketing digital products, so:
- Basic coding (e.g. python, JS)
- Design (front end, visual)
- Digital marketing
- Video production
But basically…a friendly approach and general understanding of how to work with people to create and market something digital is just great.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR MENTORS?
- A rewarding experience helping motivated young people
- A great way to develop communication skills
- A fun experience as part of a team
- Kudos for taking responsibility, giving something back
If you’re interested, please fill in the form and we’ll be in touch.
We look forward to working with you.